Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Over Critisizing Literature

We just got done talking in our questioning the text discussion groups and I had to make a post about what we talked about.  Deb brought up a really great point that is there possbility that we are being too critical of the literature we read and use in our classrooms.  Can literature just be used for enjoyment and not have to be realistic and 100 percent politically correct?  I personally feel that it does not.  My heart was broken in TE348 when my teacher talked about the book Little House on The Prarie being bad and offensive due to negative remarks about Native Americans.  It is of my opinion that that as a teacher we can still enjoy this book within our classroom and use the negative aspects as lessons to our students.

No comments:

Post a Comment