Sunday, May 3, 2009

Summer Job

Well I am really excited because tomorrow I have an interview with a family to be their nanny this summer.  I was really worried for a while because I just was having such trouble find a job.  I really wanted a job this summer that was involving working with children, but unfortunetly I am taking summer classes first session which will only allow me to work on Friday, so I needed a job that would work around a weird schedule.  So I went and posted an ad on the Grand Rapids Craigslist.  I had done this in the past and it worked out well for me before and so shortly after my post I had some responses and it looks like one is going to work out.
The interesting part of this is the children.  There are three boys ( I always take care of boys for some reason, my past two jobs I have only taken care of boys).  The oldest boy is 8 and has had multiple heart surgeries, but other than that is a pretty normal kid.  The middle boy is 6 and has Autism.  He is very low on the spectrum; he can not speak and is not potty trained.  This makes me a little nervous because I have never changed a child who is older than like 2.   The last child just turned 2 and he has already had three heart surgeries!!  He is very developmentaly delayed to the point where last summer was the first time he could hold his head up.
I know this job will be such a great learning experience and I am not too worried about the stress because it is only a 2 day a week job, but it pays really well.  The mother is well educated which is really important to me in being a Nanny because of how involved I am in the children's lives.  So, so far I have had a phone interview and tomorrow I have a personal interview and meet the kids.  I hope it goes well!  

2 comments:

  1. Britt,
    I hope your interview went well! That sounds like it's going to be a challenging experience, but I think you are going to learn a lot about yourself as well as how to handle the various issues the children are dealing with. You are probably going to have a very interesting summer, to say the least, but it sounds like you'll be able to bring some of what you're learning into any future classroom you are a part of. I wish you luck on getting the job as well as having a successful nannying summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Britt in your new job! It's interesting because my perception of a nanny is based on what I've seen on television-spoiled children with behavior issues, however, I am certain that won't be an issue with you.

    Seeing that the mother is highly educated, I know that you will learn much from her. Where did she receive your degree and in what field?

    Please make sure you keep us updated, as I would like to hear more about this experience. You will learn lots!

    ReplyDelete